Monday, September 28, 2009

She lost her husband early this year.

She had major back surgery.

This frail little lady had borne such hardship in just a few months and now it was her 80th birthday.

Perhaps she hoped everyone would forget.

The smiling eyes and quiet voice had lost their spark.

She had wondered often in recent weeks as to what her purpose was. What good could there be left in life and why celebrate when there had been so much lost.

2009 had cost her greatly and though she, in true proper grace, was forging on, it wasn't easy to share a smile or keep her little chin up.

Somewhere a few miles away, a phone call was made to Frosted. Friends gathered for a surprise birthday party. I made a chocolate cake with vanilla pastry cream filling. I was only told that she liked birds. I chose two, since they had asked that I write "Faithful Friend" on the cake. As I was placing them on, one fell slightly. I grabbed my spatula to right him when I saw that he was leaning on the other bird. I smiled and let him be.

Sometimes, we all need to have a friend to lean on.



A couple of weeks later, her own son and daughter in law called to order another cake for her actual birthday. I was so blessed to make both of her birthday cakes. The second one was vanilla with chocolate cream filling. Since I know this sweet woman personally, I sent a birthday card with the cake. I explained the meaning behind each of the edible sugar decorations I had made for it.



The bow was to symbolize her life. Each life is a gift and a blessing.

The brooch to show that she has a rich legacy to leave behind.

The hankerchief for the hard times she has experienced and lived through.

but the rose to show that she is still blooming. She has more living to do and more to give.


No comments:

Post a Comment