Saturday, October 15, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

What is it about fall that gets me in the mood to bake? I could bake every day and never grow tired of it.

I had bananas that were beginning to take on a peculiar look (you know what I mean - that point at which the children would say 'gross' if you offered it to them). But I knew they would be perfect for baking. I had enough for banana bread (my favorite and oldest recipe) and some to spare.

Then I remembered a cookie recipe I saw online earlier this week. My specialty is cake, but I love to bake all kinds of desserts. Cookies are a favorite and when this recipe caught my eye and it was described as a 'cake like cookie' I knew I had to try it. Sometimes cookies that are described as 'cakey' are actually too spongey and have a strange texture. This one is perfect! (I've already had two! and I had to put the rest away so they would stop eyeing me from the kitchen counter)





Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
found on allrecipes.com

You want to be sure to use very ripe bananas, the ones which you would not want to eat. The riper the bananas are, the more flavor they have.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium)
1 12 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. (I used silpat liners for my cookie sheets and the cookies were perfectly done. I think parchment would work great too).

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a bowl. Set aside.

Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the mashed bananas. Add the flour mixture, and stir just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.

Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until tops are brown and cookies are done. Cool and then store in an air tight container.

I made 1 batch and got about2 dozen cookies.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! Must try these. I really like bananas....a LOT!
    Nice to see a post from you, Julie!
    Beautiful cake you did for the dedication.
    a-MAZ-ing!

    ReplyDelete