Monday, April 11, 2011

Pumpkin Pie meets Cake!

I snuck stealthily into the local supermarket. I said a prayer that I wouldn't see anyone I know. I kicked myself for leaving my big black shades in my car. "How fast can I grab this and leave?" I thought.

I found a few items I needed for home and then made my way to the baking aisle. There it was... the notorious BOXED MIX.

! (I know, I know... shocking, isn't it?)

Please don't hold it against me, I shall explain.

Hours earlier, there I was at home, minding my own business and surfing the internet looking at baking websites. One site had advertisements and recipe links on the side. Suddenly, one caught my eye. "Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake." I see "gooey" and I think "yummy". :) Also, how can anything made with butter taste bad? I scanned the recipe and read the reviews, noting that the result would mean a blend of textures and flavors all around a favorite theme of pumpkin. "Could I?... Would I?... Dare I?" I thought as I saw that the base for the recipe was the notorious box mix.
The result according to the reviews seemed very worth it.

"I won't be selling this through my business" I told myself.

"I am just making something fast and easy and delicious for my family."

"If it doesn't turn out, I can certainly blame it on the boxed mix." :) Finally convinced, I made it to the store.

At the checkout I was shocked to see Mary, a woman I know from my church helping to bag my items. There was no where to run, no where to hide. I finished checking out, smiled and thanked her and ran.

"This better be worth it." I thought.

IT WAS!!! A similar texture to pumpkin pie with a cake-y crust. PERFECT with whipped cream. Heaven help me, I've already had two pieces and I'm eyeing a third.

I saw Mary again at the store a day or two later and was able to explain why I, the owner of Frosted who is a self-proclaimed lover of recipes from scratch, would be buying a boxed mix.

But try this, I'm sure you'll agree, it is not only easy, it's DELICIOUS!





PUMPKIN GOOEY BUTTER CAKE - as found on justapinch.com
Ingredients:
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted
FILLING:
- 1 (8oz.) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15oz) can(s) pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 (16oz.) bx powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9- inch baking pan. To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 50 - 55 minutes. (The recipe said 40-50 min. but I did 55 min. and the cake was perfect!) Just make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey. Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Enjoy!
- Julie
www.justfrosted.com

1 comment:

  1. Oh Oh Oh ... I wish!! We can't get pumpkin in a can here. :( I must ask my mom to bring some in October so we can try this!!

    ReplyDelete